The Business + Higher Education Roundtable (BHER) is a non-partisan, not-for-profit organization bringing together some of Canada’s largest companies and leading post-secondary institutions. Since 2015, BHER has worked to harness the strengths of Canada’s business and post-secondary education sectors to build opportunities for young Canadians, boost innovation and drive collaboration.
BHER has been growing steadily and is now seeking to hire an individual to play a pivotal role in the collection, analysis and reporting of its work-integrated learning (WIL) data. One of BHER’s initiatives involves the creation of 44,000 new WIL opportunities across Canada, as well as developing tools and resources to support the WIL ecosystem.
Reporting to the WIL Director, the ideal candidate should be highly skilled in all aspects of data analytics. The Data Analyst will gather and analyze data from various databases and sources, develop reports and visual representations, develop and/or maintain databases, provide ongoing consultation and technical assistance to BHER staff members, and liaise with other organizations that BHER works with, including the Government of Canada.
Specific Activities of the Data Analyst
- Develop, implement, and maintain analytic systems for the WIL initiative
- Analyse complex data sets
- Create and contribute to reports based on data analysis and visualization
- Develop internal data systems for efficiency, and developing and maintaining protocols for handling, processing, and cleaning data
- Work directly with management and users to gather requirements, provide status updates, and build relationships
- Work with BHER staff members to support their analytical needs on the WIL initiative, including the provision of critical metrics and KPIs
- Assist BHER staff members with WIL database design and use, data management, and analyses
- Provide actionable insights from the data for BHER staff members engaged in the WIL initiative
- Proactively analyse WIL-related data to answer key questions or out of self-initiated curiosity with an eye for collecting evidence to inform decision-making
- Develop and maintain WIL-related datasets consisting of primary and secondary sources
- Where possible, automate BHER’s systems to enable immediate responses to the organization’s data needs
- Maintain master data policies and procedures to ensure BHER data meet quality targets
Skills and Qualifications
- Degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Economics or a related discipline
- 5+ years experience as a data analyst
- Proven analytic skills, including evaluation, analysis, and visualization
- Strong quantitative skills, including, experience in statistical analysis through the use of statistical packages (e.g., Excel, SPSS, SAS)
- Technical writing experience, including queries, reports, and presentations
- Experience working with large datasets
- Experience working with Statistics Canada data
- Experience working in a collaborative, team-oriented environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Understanding of privacy standards and confidentiality requirements associated with the collection and use of data
- Experience working in a research environment would be an asset
This is a 1-year contract, with an option to renew, that requires a passionate and driven employee who would like to work in an energetic, fast paced and multi-tasking environment.
Job Type: Contract; Full-time
Location: Ottawa or Toronto
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to Malcolm Anderson, Director of Work Integrated Learning, at: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than May 29 at 5 p.m.